HC asks Centre to furnish copies of MOU on Kudankulam project
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday told the Centre to furnish it with copies of the 1982 Indo-Russian Memorandum of Understanding on the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project in Tamil Nadu and also a copy of the expert committee`s report on the project`s nuclear plants.
A Division Bench, comprising Justices P Jyothimani and M Doraiswamy, sought the information when a batch of PILs seeking to stall the project going critical at least till necessary safety measures were put in place and all clearances for the project, including that from the state pollution control board (TNPCB), were obtained.
The Additional Solicitor General M Ravindran said the documents would be provided to the court `in sealed covers.
Also directing the TNPCB to file a counter affidavit in response to the apprehensions of the people about the effect of the project on fishing activities, precautions in the event of a Tsunami or Fukushima type threat, the Bench posted the petitions for further hearing on June 21.
The Department of Atomic Energy and the Atomic Energy Commission in a joint counter earlier in response to the petitions had said the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board was empowered to enforce safety provisions under the Atomic Energy Act, 1962, in all the DAE units. "..And since the AERB has been doing this in a very transparent and effective manner there is no need for fresh review of KKNPP," the counter said.
Besides, the counter, seeking to dispel fears, pointed out that a high level committee of the AERB, set up to review the safety of nuclear power plants in the light of 2011 Fukushima accident, had submitted its report and implementation of the recommendations were being pursued with Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon