HC asks Centre to furnish copies of MOU on Kudankulam project
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday told the Centre to furnish it with copies of the 1982 Indo-Russian Memorandum of Understanding on the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project in Tamil Nadu and also a copy of the expert committee`s report on the project`s nuclear plants.
A Division Bench, comprising Justices P Jyothimani and M Doraiswamy, sought the information when a batch of PILs seeking to stall the project going critical at least till necessary safety measures were put in place and all clearances for the project, including that from the state pollution control board (TNPCB), were obtained.
The Additional Solicitor General M Ravindran said the documents would be provided to the court `in sealed covers.
Also directing the TNPCB to file a counter affidavit in response to the apprehensions of the people about the effect of the project on fishing activities, precautions in the event of a Tsunami or Fukushima type threat, the Bench posted the petitions for further hearing on June 21.
The Department of Atomic Energy and the Atomic Energy Commission in a joint counter earlier in response to the petitions had said the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board was empowered to enforce safety provisions under the Atomic Energy Act, 1962, in all the DAE units. "..And since the AERB has been doing this in a very transparent and effective manner there is no need for fresh review of KKNPP," the counter said.
Besides, the counter, seeking to dispel fears, pointed out that a high level committee of the AERB, set up to review the safety of nuclear power plants in the light of 2011 Fukushima accident, had submitted its report and implementation of the recommendations were being pursued with Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened