HC bench grants bail to five AIADMK leaders
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench here on Tuesday granted unconditional bail to former Chief Minister and AIADMK treasurer O Panneerselvam and four partymen in a case pertaining to attempt to murder during an Assembly by-election
Panneerselvam, former ministers KA Sengottaiyan,
Pollachi V Jayaraman, former AIADMK MP Thanga Tamilselvan and
another party leader Tirumangalam M Jayaraman were granted
bail in a case filed against them by Koodakovil Police during
campaigning for by-poll in Tirumangalam near here.
Justice CT Selvam directed them to appear before the
Judicial Magistrate Court, if and when summoned.
A judicial magistrate court at Tirumangalam had on
January 12 declined to recall the non-bailable warrant issued
against the five.
On the same day, the High Court bench had posted the
hearing of their anticipatory bail plea for today.
Police on December 12, 2008 had filed cases against
the five on charges including attempt to murder, rioting,
pelting stones at police vehicles and preventing public
servants from discharging their duty.
The petitioners claimed that they had gone to
Eliyarpathi village on the Madurai-Aruppukottai road on the
day of the incident to meet their party speaker and actor
Ramarajan, whose car they said was attacked by rival partymen.
Melur MLA R Samy of AIADMK and 51 others were arrested
in connection with the same incident and later released on
bail on January 12, 2009.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched