HC comes to rescue of Muslim girl
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court has ruled that a young Muslim girl cannot be branded by the Jamath as an "illegitimate" child because her father had married two sisters one after the other despite a specific prohibition under the Mohammedan law.
The specific prohibition under the Mohammedan law permits marrying another woman only after `talaq`.
Dismissing a civil revision petition filed by the Nagercoil Jamath president, Justice S. Palanivelu said the act committed by the girl?s father was a curable irregularity and, therefore, the children born out of such a marriage could not be called `illegitimate`.
A. Sohail Ahmed (name changed) was a member of the Mahan Tulkasha Olliyullah Darga Vadaseri Kuthba Pallivasal at Nagercoil in Kanyakumari district.
He married two sisters and lived with both of them. He had five children from the first wife and two daughters from her sister.
In 1997, he filed a civil suit before the Principal Munsif Court at Nagercoil challenging his extermination from the Jamath. Even as the case was pending, a compromise was reached between him and the new office bearers of the Jamath in May 2006.
In February this year, he applied for a No Objection Certificate from the Jamath to give the girl born out of his second marriage to a groom based in Chennai. But the Jamath’s president refused to issue the NOC, a pre-requisite for conducting Muslim marriages.
The judge directed the Jamath to issue a NOC forthwith to Ahmed so that he could conduct her marriage without any hitch in the lawful capacity of being her father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM