HC condones delay in filing plea in Dinakaran attack case
Madurai: The Madras High Court has
allowed a CBI petition seeking to condone the delay of 118
days in filing an appeal against a lower court judgement
acquitting 17 people, including a DSP, in the 2007 Dinakaran
newspaper office attack case.
A division bench of justices S Rajeswaran and GM
Akbar Ali posted the matter for hearing on March 22, accepting
the CBI plea that the delay was caused owing to the time taken
in obtaining approval from the Centre.
Three employees of the daily lost their lives in the
attack on the office on May 9, 2007 following the publication
of a survey which gave an edge to Deputy Chief Minister and
Karunanidhi`s son M K Stalin over his brother Union Minister
Alagiri to succeed their father.
The Tamil newspaper is owned by the Maran
brothers - Kalanidhi and Union Minister Dayanidhi, grand
nephews of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.
Seventeen persons were charged under various IPC
Deputy Superintendent of Police V Rajaram, who was on
duty at the time of occurrence, was accused of failing to
perform his duty. Principal District and Sessions Judge N
Retnaraj acquitted all the accused on December 9, 2009 on the
ground that the prosecution had failed to prove the case
beyond all reasonable doubts.
The CBI said, "The trial court ought to have
considered the evidentiary value of Prosecution Witness 1 (the
newspaper`s employee whose complaint led to registration of
the First Information Report)."
"Since he had turned hostile, his deposition cannot be
discarded in entirety. The trial court should have elicited
the truth from the portion of his evidence."
The CBI felt that as the video footage of the incident
had been telecast on various channels and the photographs had
been published in dailies, there was no need to conduct an
identification parade in the present case.
Identification parade, if conducted in this backdrop,
would have been a farce, the CBI affidavit said.
The Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) had
found the photographs and video footage to be genuine on the
basis of their resolution.
The CBI said the trial court had erred in discarding
the opinion given by CFSL, and holding that the CFSL report
was not a scientific one as no scientific machinery was
applied to decide whether there was tampering or not.
The trial court had failed to adopt a proactive
approach in finding out the truth, the investigating agency
The publication of the survey had soured relations
between the families of Karunanidhi and the Marans but they
later patched up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow