HC directive to police on fast over nuclear plant
Chennai: Madras High Court on Thursday directed
Tamil Nadu police to permit a forum to hold a one-day fast to
highlight alleged health risks posed by the nuclear power
plant in Kalpakkam, about 70 km from Chennai.
Justice Vinod K Sharma gave the direction disposing of a
petition by the People`s Movement for Nuclear Safety, working
for protection of people residing in the vicinity of the
Madras Atomic Power Station at Kalpakkam.
The Judge said the DSP of Mamallapuram sub-division in
Kancheepuram District would specify the place where the fast
could be held so as to ensure that it did not create a law and
The petitioner, K Duraisamy, a member of the movement and a
ward member of Sathurangapattinam panchayat, had moved the
court seeking to quash the December 10 las order of police
rejecting permission for holding a fast in the panchayat.
He claimed that due to the continuous functioning of the
nuclear power plant, people residing in and around Kalpakkam
were inflicted with various diseases, including cancer. In the
last 10 years alone, over 240 cancer cases had been detected,
The rejection order of the police violated Article 14
(right to equality) and 19(1)(a) (freedom of speech and
expression) of the Constitution, the petitioner contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks