HC directs man to pay Rs 1,500 as maintenance to father
Chennai: The Madras High Court has ordered a
man to pay Rs 1,500 as monthly maintenance to his 80-year-old
father to meet his medical and food expenses.
A trial court had in 2005 ordered Palanimalai to give a
maintenance of Rs 1,500 each to his father and mother. He
filed a petition against it before an appellate Court, which
reduced it to Rs 750 each.
Palanimalai`s parents M Ramasamy Gounder and Kaliyammal
moved the High Court against the appellate court order.
However, while the case was pending Kaliyammal died.
Setting aside the appellate courts order, Justice R Mala
said "admittedly, the first petitioner (the father) is more
than 80-years and is unable to do work and maintain himself.
The appellate court had not assigned any reason for reducing
the amount of maintenance".
"The maintenance awarded by the appellate court is not
sufficient and it is hereby enhanced to Rs 1,500 per month as
awarded by the trial Court", the judge said.
The Judge also directed Palanimalai to pay arrears from the
date the maintenance petition was filed before the trial court
within two months.
The court also directed him to pay the amount on or before
the fifth of every month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Congress leader Digvijay Singh taken aback after seeing his name in Below Poverty Line list
- Gwen Stefani auditioned for 'Mr & Mrs Smith'
- WATCH: Fizz and fire! Mustafizur Rahman demolishes opposition on T20 Blast debut
- Burhan Wani protest: Curfew lifted from four districts of Kashmir Valley, parts of Srinagar
- MH370 pilot flew similar doomed route on home simulator: Report