HC directs oil companies not to insist on submission of Aadhar cards
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Thursday directed the oil companies not to insist on the submission of Aadhaar cards for availing of direct transfer of subsidy.
A Divison Bench of Justices R Sudhakar and V M Velumani of Madurai Bench said the Supreme Court was already hearing the issue, and till the apex court decided on it, LPG agents or the oil companies should not insist on production of Aadhaar card or submission of numbers etc.
The bench had already ordered notices be served on them to solicit their views on the matter.
The Petitioner S M Ananthamurgan, in his PIL, said gas agencies were insisting on Aadhaar card which was against a Supreme Court directive.
The apex court had said in September that Aadhaar was not mandatory for getting government subsidies. The central government had submitted that the document, which served as unique identity for Indian residents, was not mandatory for getting government aid.
Strangely, gas agencies were urging consumers to provide Aadhaar details along with their bank account details to get LPG subsidy directly into their accounts, the petitioner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!