HC directs son to pay Rs 1500 as maintenance to father
HChennai: The Madras High Court has ordered a
son to pay Rs 1,500 as monthly maintenance to his 80-year-old
father to meet his medical and food expenses.
A trial court had in 2005 ordered Palanimalai to give a
maintenance of Rs 1,500 each to his father and mother.He filed
a petition against it before an appellate Court, which reduced
it to Rs 750 each.
Palanimalai`s parents M Ramasamy Gounder and Kaliyammal
moved the High Court against the appellte court order.
However, during the pendency of the case Kaliyammal died.
Setting aside the appellate court?s order, Justice R Mala
said "admittedly, the first petitioner (the father) is more
than 80-years and is unable to do work and maintain himself.
The appellete court had not assigned any reason for reducing
the amount of maintenance".
"The maintenance awarded by the appellate court is not
sufficient and it is hereby enhanced to Rs 1,500 per month as
awarded by the trial Court", the judge said.
The Judge also directed Palanimalai to pay the arrears of
maintenance from the date of maintenance petition was filed
before the trial court within two months.
The court also directed him to pay the amount on or before
fifth of every month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31