HC directs son to pay Rs 1500 as maintenance to father
HChennai: The Madras High Court has ordered a
son to pay Rs 1,500 as monthly maintenance to his 80-year-old
father to meet his medical and food expenses.
A trial court had in 2005 ordered Palanimalai to give a
maintenance of Rs 1,500 each to his father and mother.He filed
a petition against it before an appellate Court, which reduced
it to Rs 750 each.
Palanimalai`s parents M Ramasamy Gounder and Kaliyammal
moved the High Court against the appellte court order.
However, during the pendency of the case Kaliyammal died.
Setting aside the appellate court?s order, Justice R Mala
said "admittedly, the first petitioner (the father) is more
than 80-years and is unable to do work and maintain himself.
The appellete court had not assigned any reason for reducing
the amount of maintenance".
"The maintenance awarded by the appellate court is not
sufficient and it is hereby enhanced to Rs 1,500 per month as
awarded by the trial Court", the judge said.
The Judge also directed Palanimalai to pay the arrears of
maintenance from the date of maintenance petition was filed
before the trial court within two months.
The court also directed him to pay the amount on or before
fifth of every month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday