HC dismisses petition by Pasumpon Thevar’s kin
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here
today dismissed a writ petition filed by only surviving legal
heir of freedom fighter U Muthuramalinga Thevar
seeking to hand over management of a college named after him
at Kamuthi in Ramanathapuram district to a private trust
formed by her.
Justice K Chandru dismissing the petitioner Indurani`s
plea, said there was not even a casual connection between
her and the institution. Being a legal heir would not give
the right to manage an institution. The college was now
managed by a Special Officer of the government after its
original management had failed to administer it properly.
The breakdown of the earlier Management also would not give
the right over the Insititution to the Petitioner. The
government was empowered to take temporary charge of the
college or even nationalise it, the judge said.
The petitioner said Pasumpon Thiru U Muthuramalinga Thevar
Memorial College was started by a registered trust in June
After the death of its founder Valliyoor Pandian, the
trust became defunct. Then the government took over the
management by appointing a Special Officer. Now it
contemplated a permanent take over.
The Petitioner said Claiming that the college building
and the surrounding land were inherited by her from the
properties left behind by Muthuramalinga Thevar. She made a
representation to the government to hand over the management
to Pasumpon Thiru U Muthuramalinga Thever Educational Trust,
a private trust floated by her by appointing herself as the
Chairperson-cum-Managing Trustee. The government did not reply
to her plea.
Then the Government on Oct27,2010 rejected her plea on
the ground that the college was started on the basis of land
and cash gifted by the general public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state