HC dismisses petition by Pasumpon Thevar’s kin
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here
today dismissed a writ petition filed by only surviving legal
heir of freedom fighter U Muthuramalinga Thevar
seeking to hand over management of a college named after him
at Kamuthi in Ramanathapuram district to a private trust
formed by her.
Justice K Chandru dismissing the petitioner Indurani`s
plea, said there was not even a casual connection between
her and the institution. Being a legal heir would not give
the right to manage an institution. The college was now
managed by a Special Officer of the government after its
original management had failed to administer it properly.
The breakdown of the earlier Management also would not give
the right over the Insititution to the Petitioner. The
government was empowered to take temporary charge of the
college or even nationalise it, the judge said.
The petitioner said Pasumpon Thiru U Muthuramalinga Thevar
Memorial College was started by a registered trust in June
After the death of its founder Valliyoor Pandian, the
trust became defunct. Then the government took over the
management by appointing a Special Officer. Now it
contemplated a permanent take over.
The Petitioner said Claiming that the college building
and the surrounding land were inherited by her from the
properties left behind by Muthuramalinga Thevar. She made a
representation to the government to hand over the management
to Pasumpon Thiru U Muthuramalinga Thever Educational Trust,
a private trust floated by her by appointing herself as the
Chairperson-cum-Managing Trustee. The government did not reply
to her plea.
Then the Government on Oct27,2010 rejected her plea on
the ground that the college was started on the basis of land
and cash gifted by the general public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story