HC dispenses with Ramadoss` personal appearance in court
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday dispensed with the personal appearance of PMK founder S Ramadoss in a local court in a defamation case filed against him by the Tamil Nadu government.
Passing orders on a petition by Ramadoss seeking to quash the defamation case filed in the court of Principal District and Sessions Judge at Tiruchirappalli, Justice P.Devadoss also ordered issue of notice to the Public Prosecutor.
Ramadoss also sought a stay on the proceedings.
The Public Prosecutor had filed the defamation complaint against Ramadoss for allegedly defaming Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in an interview to a TV channel on May 11.
The PMK leader contended that complaint had been made against him for political reasons and were misconceived. He said in another case, the Madras High court had dispensed with his personal appearance.
The complaint made against him under IPC 499 and 500 (defamation) had not been made out."Therefore the court may grant stay and dispense with personal appearance," Ramadoss said in his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Insult to Prophet Mohammad: Dispose off case against Hindu Mahasabha leader in 4 weeks, SC tells Allahabad HC
- SHOCKING! Man beaten to death in Delhi for golgappas - Watch
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology
- Delhi HC rejects plea against Raj Thackeray's security cover
- Eleven Turkish police killed in bombing blamed on PKK