HC dispenses with Ramadoss` personal appearance in court
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday dispensed with the personal appearance of PMK founder S Ramadoss in a local court in a defamation case filed against him by the Tamil Nadu government.
Passing orders on a petition by Ramadoss seeking to quash the defamation case filed in the court of Principal District and Sessions Judge at Tiruchirappalli, Justice P.Devadoss also ordered issue of notice to the Public Prosecutor.
Ramadoss also sought a stay on the proceedings.
The Public Prosecutor had filed the defamation complaint against Ramadoss for allegedly defaming Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in an interview to a TV channel on May 11.
The PMK leader contended that complaint had been made against him for political reasons and were misconceived. He said in another case, the Madras High court had dispensed with his personal appearance.
The complaint made against him under IPC 499 and 500 (defamation) had not been made out."Therefore the court may grant stay and dispense with personal appearance," Ramadoss said in his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya