HC dispenses with Ramadoss` personal appearance in court
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday dispensed with the personal appearance of PMK founder S Ramadoss in a local court in a defamation case filed against him by the Tamil Nadu government.
Passing orders on a petition by Ramadoss seeking to quash the defamation case filed in the court of Principal District and Sessions Judge at Tiruchirappalli, Justice P.Devadoss also ordered issue of notice to the Public Prosecutor.
Ramadoss also sought a stay on the proceedings.
The Public Prosecutor had filed the defamation complaint against Ramadoss for allegedly defaming Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in an interview to a TV channel on May 11.
The PMK leader contended that complaint had been made against him for political reasons and were misconceived. He said in another case, the Madras High court had dispensed with his personal appearance.
The complaint made against him under IPC 499 and 500 (defamation) had not been made out."Therefore the court may grant stay and dispense with personal appearance," Ramadoss said in his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?