HC dispenses with Ramadoss` personal appearance in court
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday dispensed with the personal appearance of PMK founder S Ramadoss in a local court in a defamation case filed against him by the Tamil Nadu government.
Passing orders on a petition by Ramadoss seeking to quash the defamation case filed in the court of Principal District and Sessions Judge at Tiruchirappalli, Justice P.Devadoss also ordered issue of notice to the Public Prosecutor.
Ramadoss also sought a stay on the proceedings.
The Public Prosecutor had filed the defamation complaint against Ramadoss for allegedly defaming Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in an interview to a TV channel on May 11.
The PMK leader contended that complaint had been made against him for political reasons and were misconceived. He said in another case, the Madras High court had dispensed with his personal appearance.
The complaint made against him under IPC 499 and 500 (defamation) had not been made out."Therefore the court may grant stay and dispense with personal appearance," Ramadoss said in his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble