HC disposes petition against TNPCB July 23 order
Chennai: The Madras High Court today disposed of a petition seeking quashing of the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board`s July 23 consent order to operate Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant after the Board issued a fresh order, amending the previous one.
Justice P Jyothimani disposed of the petition with the TNPCB issuing yesterday its fresh consent order to operate the plant.
In its order, the TNPCB said the resultant rise in sea temperature on receiving effluents from the plant should not exceed seven degrees Celsius over and above the ambient temperature as against its July 23 order, which had said the tolerance limit for rise in temperature was 45 degree Celsius.
The court will give its orders on other petitions filed against KNPP on Friday.
On a petition filed by advocate G Sundarrajan earlier, the court had earlier observed that the TNPCB had not applied its mind while passing its July 23 order to operate the controversial nuclear power plant.
The petitioner had said TNPCB`s order prescribing the tolerance limit as 45 degree Celsius was in ignorance of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for Units 1 and 2 and additional units 3 to 6, which said the temperature should not exceed seven degrees over and above the ambient sea temperature.
The first unit of KNPP, an Indo-Russian joint venture, was scheduled for commissioning in December last, but was bogged down by delay due to protests against the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur