HC disposes petition against TNPCB July 23 order
Chennai: The Madras High Court today disposed of a petition seeking quashing of the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board`s July 23 consent order to operate Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant after the Board issued a fresh order, amending the previous one.
Justice P Jyothimani disposed of the petition with the TNPCB issuing yesterday its fresh consent order to operate the plant.
In its order, the TNPCB said the resultant rise in sea temperature on receiving effluents from the plant should not exceed seven degrees Celsius over and above the ambient temperature as against its July 23 order, which had said the tolerance limit for rise in temperature was 45 degree Celsius.
The court will give its orders on other petitions filed against KNPP on Friday.
On a petition filed by advocate G Sundarrajan earlier, the court had earlier observed that the TNPCB had not applied its mind while passing its July 23 order to operate the controversial nuclear power plant.
The petitioner had said TNPCB`s order prescribing the tolerance limit as 45 degree Celsius was in ignorance of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for Units 1 and 2 and additional units 3 to 6, which said the temperature should not exceed seven degrees over and above the ambient sea temperature.
The first unit of KNPP, an Indo-Russian joint venture, was scheduled for commissioning in December last, but was bogged down by delay due to protests against the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt
- Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra's sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho' is making us crazy!