HC grants anticipatory bail to inmate of Nithyananda ashram
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Friday granted anticipatory bail to a former inmate of Swami Nithyananda’s Ashram, who feared arrest in a case for alleged offences, including cheating and criminal intimidation.
Petitioner Arathi Rao said she feared arrest in the case which had been registered in 2011.
The charge against her was that she surreptitiously took a video of the controversial godman with an actress and blackmailed him.
Granting her bail, Justice M M Sundresh said she should execute a bond for Rs 10,000 and furnish two sureties for a like sum to satisfaction of the XI Metropolitan Magistrate.
She has also been told to deposit her passport with police and not leave the country without the court’s permission.
Nithyananda is facing a CID probe into allegations of rape and criminal intimidation levelled against him in 2010 after some TV channels telecast purported video footage of the self-styled godman in a compromising position with an actress.
Out on bail after his arrest in 2010, he had courted fresh trouble on June 8 when police booked him and his followers for allegedly assaulting a mediaperson during a press conference at his ashram at nearby Bidadi.
The press meet was held in the backdrop of a US-based woman alleging that he had sexually abused her for five years.
Nithyananda was granted bail on June 15, a day after his re-arrest on charges of disturbing peace and lodged in Mysore Central Prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray