HC grants bail to 33 crew of detained US ship; Captain, V-C denied relief
Madurai: More than six months after their arrest on charges of carrying weapons illegally and straying into Indian waters off Tuticorin, 33 crew members of a US ship were Wednesday granted conditional bail by Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court.
Justice R S Ramanathan, however denied bail to M V Seaman Guard Ohio`s Captain and Vice-Captain Dudinik Valentyn and Paul David Dennis Towers respectively.
R Munithevan, a local accused of supplying 1,500 litres of diesel illegally to the ship, was also granted conditional bail by the court.
The ship owned by a US firm was detained on October 18 by the Indian Coast Guard authorities off Tuticorin for violating the International Maritime Boundary Line.
Upon inspection, the authorities discovered that the ship carried arms and ammunitions, and cases under Arms Act were registered against the crew and arrested.
The court directed the 33 crew members, including 12 Indians, to stay in Chennai, sign in Mylapore Police station at 10 AM and 5 PM daily.
The court also directed them to produce surety to the tune of Rs 2 lakh each.
The diesel supplier should produce a surety of Rs 50,000 and sign at `Q` branch police station in Tuticorin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced