HC moved for cancellation of Modi’s function at Madras Varsity
Chennai: A PIL has been filed in Madras High Court seeking cancellation of the permission granted to a function at the Madras University campus here in which Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is to participate on Friday.
Objecting Modi`s participation in the book release function, Thanga Tamizhvelan, President of Tamizhnadu Makkal Katchi, in his PIL said it was not fair to allow a political leader "known for his Hindu fundamentalism" to speak at the university.
Referring to an incident where permission granted to an American Islamic scholar Amina Wadud was cancelled in the University campus on the ground that her speech might hurt the sentiments of some sections, the petitioner said a person with "communal base" was given permission in the university campus.
He also argued that the Madras University is funded by Tamil Nadu government and Governor is its Chancellor, where irrespective of religions, caste or creed, students belonging to all religions were given education.
He said that he had made representations to Chennai Police Commissioner and Madras University Vice Chancellor to cancel the meeting.
The meeting has been arranged by Palkhivala Foundation to release a book authored by Arun Shorie in the University centenary hall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'