HC notice on plea to restrain mining companies nea
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday ordered notice to Tirunelveli District authorities on a PIL seeking interim injunction restraining a firm from carrying on sand quarrying activities within a five km radius from Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
The petitioner submitted that VV Minerals company operated within five km radius of Kudankulam, using heavy machineries and quarrying 1,000 tonnes of sand per day.
If the company was allowed to continue its operations, it would cause sea erosion and pose danger to the people living in the coastal areas.
The petitioner also sought to close the quarry units operated by the companies at Ponnarkulam village, and also regulate other granite units within 30 km radius from Kudankulam.
He contended that though he had sent a detailed representation to the district collector, Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board chairman and assistant director of Mines and Minerals, they had not taken any steps to protect the lives of the people.
With the Kudankulam project expected to start functioning shortly, the Government should implement its notification regarding the safety measures, which included regulated mining, the Petitioner said.
Justice PPS Janardhanaraja and Justicce N Duraiswamy ordered notice to the Tiruneleveli collector among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam