HC notice on plea to restrain mining companies nea
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday ordered notice to Tirunelveli District authorities on a PIL seeking interim injunction restraining a firm from carrying on sand quarrying activities within a five km radius from Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
The petitioner submitted that VV Minerals company operated within five km radius of Kudankulam, using heavy machineries and quarrying 1,000 tonnes of sand per day.
If the company was allowed to continue its operations, it would cause sea erosion and pose danger to the people living in the coastal areas.
The petitioner also sought to close the quarry units operated by the companies at Ponnarkulam village, and also regulate other granite units within 30 km radius from Kudankulam.
He contended that though he had sent a detailed representation to the district collector, Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board chairman and assistant director of Mines and Minerals, they had not taken any steps to protect the lives of the people.
With the Kudankulam project expected to start functioning shortly, the Government should implement its notification regarding the safety measures, which included regulated mining, the Petitioner said.
Justice PPS Janardhanaraja and Justicce N Duraiswamy ordered notice to the Tiruneleveli collector among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray