HC notice to govt over social boycott of Dalits in Dindigul
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here on Tuesday issued notice to the Government, including the Chief
Secretary, on a writ petition filed against alleged social
boycott imposed on 300 Dalit families by the dominant
community in a village in Dindigul district.
Justices K Suguna and A Arumugaswamy admitted the writ
petition and ordered the notice, returnable in 15 days.
The petitioner, Kaliyappan, a Dalit of Therkutheru
Velayutham Puthur in Dindigul district,also sought a direction
to abolish the `double tumbler` system (plastic tumblers for
Dalits and glass tumblers for others) in three tea shops in
Dalits in the village were also not permitted to enter the
three temples and offer prayers to the deity, he claimed.
He submitted that trouble started in the village, which has
1,400 families of caste Hindus as the dominant community, when
Dalits decided to fight against discrimination and start
Dalits` Arts and Literature Association on Nov 15, 2010.
However, the local police inspector refused permission to
install even a board for the association and detained three
Dalit leaders, Kaliyappan alleged.
He claimed social boycott followed soon after, with the 300
Dalit families living in the village not being called for farm
work. The local shops were also not allowed to sell goods and
groceries to Dalits, he claimed.
Though the tahsildar held a peace committee meeting on Nov
19, 2010 and ordered that Dalits be provided food and other
goods, shopkeepers did so only during police monitoring,
The petitioner said Dalit families in the region were
facing hardships as they were being denied work in farms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore