HC orders issue of notices to Centre on PIL
Chennai: The Madras High Court has ordered issue of notices to the Centre on a PIL seeking direction to enact a legislation similar to the Traditional Forest Dwellers Act, 2006, to protect the rights and interests of fishermen and other coastal communities.
The First Bench comprising Chief Justice R K Agrawal and Justice M Sathyanarayanan, before whom the PIL filed by L T A Peter Rayan, President of `Fisherman Care`, came up yesterday, adjourned the matter till January 8 for further hearing.
The petitioner said that in July 2009 an expert committee headed by M S Swaminathan submitted a report, reducing the no development zone from the existing 200 metres to 100 metres from the high tide line.
Although it encouraged multinational companies to encroach upon the space traditionally enjoyed by fisherfolk, the committee recommended that government enact a separate legislation to protect their traditional rights.
The recommendation has been endorsed by the parliamentary committee reviewing coastal management zone. The Environment Ministry too has written to other ministries seeking opinion on drafting the proposed legislation, but there has been no response from them so far, the petitioner said.
The PIL said the delay by the Centre in drafting the legislation will amount to depriving the fundamental rights of fishermen communities, and being indifferent to encroachment of their habitat by developers.
Noting that their livelihood is under threat, the petitioner wanted the court to direct the authorities to bring out an appropriate legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees