HC orders notice to CBI on plea seeking probe
Madurai: Madurai Bench of Madras High Court on Thursday ordered issue of notice to CBI on a plea praying for a probe into Tiruchirappalli corporation using "unauthorised" software for purpose of assessing and collecting property tax.
The petitioner, C Raman, said the Department of Municipal administration and the Office of the Commissioner of Municipal Administration had prepared a software and named it Tamil Nadu Urban Development Project (TNUDP) after the state government decided to computerise operations in 2002.
The municipal administrations in Tamil Nadu were served with the software and the password was kept confidential, which meant that they were not entitled to change it as per their choice.
However in 2009, the Tiruchirappalli Corporation entered into a contract with a private company for the software in place of the software supplied by the government.
The petitioner alleged that it was found that after installing the private software, details of property assessment from 2002-04 was deleted and several malpractices had been committed in property tax assessment and crores of rupees misappropriated by some corporation officers.
The petitioner also stated that no permission was obtained from the government for installing private software to access property taxes and it was also not communicated to the Municipal administration department.
Earlier, the petitioner approached the Court to direct the Municipal Administration and Director of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption to conduct an inquiry in the issue and to take action against erring Corporation officials. Even after filing the petition, there was no action taken by authorities.
Hence he sought a CBI probe into the "misappropriation" of several crores of rupees by using unauthorised software for collecting property tax.
Hearing the plea, a Division Bench, comprising Justice R Sudhakar and Justice S Vaidyanathan ordered issue of notice to the Superintendent of Police, CBI, Chennai, Department of Municipal Administration and to Tiruchirappalli Corporation Commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!