HC orders police protection for Sankararaman`s wid
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday ordered the Tamil Nadu Police to provide protection to Sankararaman widow, a witness in her husband`s murder case in which Kanchi Seer Jayendra Saraswathi is the prime accused.
"The respondents (Kancheepuram SP and Crime Branch-CID DSP) shall ensure the safety of the petitioner (S Padma) when she appears before the trial court," Justice S Nagamuthu said, disposing of petitions filed by her seeking police protection for her and family members.
Padma had sought police protection on the ground that she and her family members had been allegedly threatened when they had come to depose in the case on August 6, 2009.
The judge stated the woman had made "a lot of allegations touching upon the merits of the case" which had been denied by the DSP CB-CID and "this court cannot go into the correctness or otherwise of these allegations".
He said it was for the trial Judge to dispose of Padma`s plea for police protection and re-hearing depositions after affording sufficient opportunity to both parties.
Pointing out that a perusal of petitions filed by Padma before the trial court would show that similar prayers had been made, the Judge said the question of police protection would be decided by the Puducherry Principal Sessions Judge, who is hearing the case.
Sankarararman, manager in the Varadaraja Perumal temple in Kancheepuram, was murdered in its premises on September 3, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks