HC quashes detention of Alagiri associate
Madurai:The Madurai Bench of Madras High
court on thursday quashed the detention of Essor Gopi, an associate
of Union Minister M K Alagiri, under the Goondas Act.
The division bench comprising Justices M Jaichandren and
S Nagamuthu said there was delay on the part of the
authorities concerned to consider Gopi`s representation and
dispose it within the stipulated period.
The Judges directed the detenu to be set at liberty
immediately unless he is required in connection with any other
case or cause.
Essor Gobi and his brother were allegedly involved in a
He had surrendered before the court recently and was
subsequently detained under the Goondas Act by the District
Collector on August 31 and lodged in Tiruchirappali Central
His wife Subbulakshmi challenged the detention order
Essor Gobi was arraigned as main accused in the murder of an
autorickshaw driver on April 16,2009. A case was registered
against him on information given by the Village Administrative
Officer at Avaniapuram.
The prosecution`s case was that Gopi and his brother had
threatened a person who had given his house to put up an
election booth in 2009 and ordered him to vacate it. But the
man refused to do so, following which Gopi`s brother and 14
others conspired to kill him. He was taken to Gopi`s house
and murdered there, they said.
The man`s body was taken to another spot and a car driven
over him to make it look like an accident, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark