HC quashes detention under goondas act against TD Naidu
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday quashed the detention order under Goondas Act against Chairman of Deendayal Medical College and Hospital in Tiruvallur District.
Allowing an Habeas Corpus petition filed by T D Naidu`s wife, the court said the detention order is liable to be vitiated as particulars of two similar cases, relied upon by the detaining authority, have not been furnished to the detenu thereby depriving him the opportunity to make effective representation.
A Division Bench, comprising Justice S Rajeswaran and Justice P N Prakash, said the booklet, which is in possession of Advocate General A L Somayaji and produced before the court, contain the documents relied on by the detaining authority whereas the booklet served on the detenu did not contain those related documents.
The bench then quashed the June 7 order of detention passed by the Tiruvallur District Collector this year.
It directed that the detenu, lodged in the Central Prison at Vellore, shall be released forthwith unless his presence is required in connection with any other case.
Naidu is facing several cheating cases and renewal of permission from MCI was also denied for his college which has been challenged in the High Court.
In the above case, the state government submitted recently that it is ready to take over the college if the court passes an order.
The court had directed the government to accommodate the students of the above college in any of the other government medical colleges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof