HC rejects PC’s plea against election petition
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday
rejected an application by Home Minister P Chidambaram seeking
dismissal of the election petition filed by his immediate
AIADMK rival R S Raja Kannappan challenging his election to
Lok Sabha from Sivaganga constituency in 2009 General
In his application, Chidambaram had contended that there
were some defects in the petition filed by Kannappan, who lost
the election by just 3,354 votes, and sought its dismissal.
Chidambaram had claimed that the high court registry had
noted the defects when the petition was filed by Kannappan.
Dismissing Chidambaram`s application, Justice K
Venkatraman said, "There cannot be any doubt that an Election
petition filed with defects which cannot be curable cannot be
considered as an election petition at the end. However, in the
case on hand, the defects pointed out by the officer concerned
are not defects which are not curable warranting dismissal of
the election petition."
The Judge said he was of the considered view that the
application preferred by Chidambaram "is liable to be rejected
and accordingly rejected."
Kannappan in his petition filed on June 25, 2009 alleged
that Chidambaram`s election `deserved` to be declared void due
to `manipulation` of votes and `corrupt practices` committed
by him, his election agents and others, with his consent.
He had also sought recount of the votes polled in the
entire constituency, particularly in the Alangudi Assembly
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa during her visit
to New Delhi in June last had sought the resignation of
Chidambaram alleging that he got himself elected to the
Parliament by `fraudulent` means.
She had alleged that Chidambaram was announced the
successful candidate because of a fraud committed by a data
entry operator, but the Union Minister hit back saying her
remarks were `gross contempt of court`.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference