HC sets aside Letika Saran`s appointment as TN DGP
Chennai: Madras High Court on Friday struck
down the appointment of senior woman IPS officer Letika Saran
as the Director General of Police of Tamil Nadu, holding that
it was not made in accordance with the guidelines laid down by
the Supreme Court.
Passing orders on a petition by IPS officer R Nataraj
challenging her appointment, the court directed that a new DGP
should be in place by December first week.
Till then, Saran will continue in the post, a Division
Bench comprising Justice F M Ibrahim Kalifullah and Justice M
M Sundaresh said in its order.
A 1976 batch officer, Saran became the first woman DGP
of the state in January last.
The judges directed the state government to furnish a
fresh panel of names of those eligible to hold the post of DGP
to the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
The court had on September 7 reserved orders on the
petition by Nataraj, Director of Fire and Rescue Services, who
had claimed that his seniority had been overlooked in the
appointment to the post.
The state government had told the court that the
selection and appointment of Saran as the DGP was made in
pursuance to the Supreme Court`s directions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof