HC sets up two-member advocate commission on temple issue
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday appointed a two-member advocate commission to probe violations in the construction of buildings around the famous Meenakshi temple in this city.
A Division bench of Justice V Sudhakar and Justice S Vaidhyanathan directed the advocate commissioners to file their report before January 31.
A PIL had been filed seeking an interim injunction not to permit any construction surrounding the Meenakshi temple.
In the PIL, A S M Kumar, an advocate, sought a direction to implement a government order passed in 1997 prohibiting construction of buildings exceeding a height of nine metres within the area bounded by outer walls of the temple from four `Masi` streets (North Masi, East, South and West).
The petitioner said the government had passed the order for the purpose of protecting the temple gopurams, with guidelines not to put up constructions beyond 9 metres.
"It is increasingly becoming difficult to have a clear look at the heritage towers of the temple. Unless the restrictions are strictly enforced, soon people may have to come to their rooftops to have a look at these towers," the PIL said.
It claimed that police too had objected to construction of some high-rise buildings around the famous temple, but it was not known whether they had been constructed with permission or without permission.
Though the Central government repeatedly insisted on security of famous historical monuments, the state government did not take any effective steps, it alleged.
Meanwhile, the Deputy Commissioner of Madurai Corporation said the corporation was taking steps to check if any construction was made in violation of height restrictions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand