HC sets up two-member advocate commission on temple issue
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday appointed a two-member advocate commission to probe violations in the construction of buildings around the famous Meenakshi temple in this city.
A Division bench of Justice V Sudhakar and Justice S Vaidhyanathan directed the advocate commissioners to file their report before January 31.
A PIL had been filed seeking an interim injunction not to permit any construction surrounding the Meenakshi temple.
In the PIL, A S M Kumar, an advocate, sought a direction to implement a government order passed in 1997 prohibiting construction of buildings exceeding a height of nine metres within the area bounded by outer walls of the temple from four `Masi` streets (North Masi, East, South and West).
The petitioner said the government had passed the order for the purpose of protecting the temple gopurams, with guidelines not to put up constructions beyond 9 metres.
"It is increasingly becoming difficult to have a clear look at the heritage towers of the temple. Unless the restrictions are strictly enforced, soon people may have to come to their rooftops to have a look at these towers," the PIL said.
It claimed that police too had objected to construction of some high-rise buildings around the famous temple, but it was not known whether they had been constructed with permission or without permission.
Though the Central government repeatedly insisted on security of famous historical monuments, the state government did not take any effective steps, it alleged.
Meanwhile, the Deputy Commissioner of Madurai Corporation said the corporation was taking steps to check if any construction was made in violation of height restrictions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory