HC slated to resume hearing on Rajiv killers` peti
Chennai: The Madras High Court is slated to
resume tomorrow hearing on the petitions by three death row
convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case seeking
commutation of capital punishment.
The court had on August 30 stayed for eight weeks the
execution of Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan while admitting
their pleas for commuting their death sentence to life term.
After hearing arguments by senior counsels Ram Jethmalani
and others who appeared for the three convicts, a bench
comprising justices C Nagappan and M Sathayanarayanan had
issued notices to the Centre, the state government and police.
The three, lodged in Vellore jail, were convicted and
sentenced to death in the case relating to the assassination
of Gandhi during an election rally at Sriperumpudur on May 21,
1991 by an LTTE suicide bomber.
The high court stay came as a major relief for the three
convicts as their execution was then fixed for September 9
after President Pratibha Patil turned down their mercy pleas.
The court had noted a submission that there had been a
delay of over 11 years in the disposal of the petitions filed
by the three convicts seeking Presidential clemency.
Jethmalani, Colin Gonsalves and R Vaigai, appearing for
the three convicts, had contended the "inordinate and
inexplainable delay" in disposing of their mercy petitions
violated Article 21 of the Constitution (protection of life
and personal liberty).
In a related development, the Supreme Court had on
September 15 issued notices to the Centre, the Tamil Nadu
government and the three convicts on a plea for transferring
out of Madras High Court the petition by three condemned
Petitioner L K Venkata had pleaded that the petition
before the Madras High Court be taken up by the apex court or
any other high court for further hearing.
Alleging that several LTTE supporters are interfering
with the judicial function by raising slogans in support of
the three convicts, he had submitted that their petition
cannot be heard by the high court in a free and fair
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared