HC stays govt order on collection of clay from lakes
Chennai: Madras High Court on Friday stayed till September 26 a Tamil Nadu government order, which mandated a seigniorage fee of Rs one lakh from those collecting clay for pottery from lake areas in the state.
Justice D Hariparanthaman granted the interim injunction on a petition by Tamil Nadu Pottery Workers Association challenging the GO issued in 1981.
The State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority of Tamil Nadu had issued the G.O which mandated people collecting clay in lake areas to deposit a sum of Rs one lakh as seigniorage fee.
In the backdrop of recent Supreme Court order on sand mining, Vellore District Collector had imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on a pottery worker who had collected the clay from a lake area for making idols of Lord Ganesha for the upcoming Vinayaka Chathurthi festival.
The Association in its petition submitted that though pottery workers, who were very poor, were exempted from the fixed fee, officials were penalising them citing the apex court order.
The judge, who admitted the petition, granted the interim injunction and posted the matter for further hearing to September 26.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know