HC stays non-bailable warrant against Alagiri`s son
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday kept in abeyance till November 2 a non-bailable warrant issued against Union Minister MK Alagiri`s son Durai Dayanidhi in an illegal granite quarrying case.
Passing the order on a petition by Dayanidhi seeking quashing of the NBW issued by the Magistrate Court in Melur in the district, Justice T Mathivanan also directed state Advocate General Navaneetha Krishnan to file the counter to the objections raised by the petitioner`s counsel.
Kumaresan, the counsel for Dayanidhi, contended that the Magistrate had no powers to issue the NBW as the second anticipatory bail application by his client was pending before the high court. "This is transgressing into the powers of the high court."
Countering it, the AG said that case registered against Dayanidhi was of serious nature and he had been absconding. Dayanidhi could appear before the Magistrate court and get bail.
Once the NBW had been issued by the Magistrate, only he can recall it and the high court could not do that, he contended.
He also sought time to file his counter to the petition seeking to quash the October 15 NBW issued by the magistrate.
Dayanidhi and his partner Nagarajan of the Olympus Granites Private Ltd have been charged of causing revenue loss of Rs.44 crore through illegal granite mining in Melur block.
An FIR had been registered against them under various sections of the Mines and Minerals Act, Tamil Nadu Public Property Damage Act among others and special police teams are searching for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof