HC stays non-bailable warrant against Alagiri`s son
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday kept in abeyance till November 2 a non-bailable warrant issued against Union Minister MK Alagiri`s son Durai Dayanidhi in an illegal granite quarrying case.
Passing the order on a petition by Dayanidhi seeking quashing of the NBW issued by the Magistrate Court in Melur in the district, Justice T Mathivanan also directed state Advocate General Navaneetha Krishnan to file the counter to the objections raised by the petitioner`s counsel.
Kumaresan, the counsel for Dayanidhi, contended that the Magistrate had no powers to issue the NBW as the second anticipatory bail application by his client was pending before the high court. "This is transgressing into the powers of the high court."
Countering it, the AG said that case registered against Dayanidhi was of serious nature and he had been absconding. Dayanidhi could appear before the Magistrate court and get bail.
Once the NBW had been issued by the Magistrate, only he can recall it and the high court could not do that, he contended.
He also sought time to file his counter to the petition seeking to quash the October 15 NBW issued by the magistrate.
Dayanidhi and his partner Nagarajan of the Olympus Granites Private Ltd have been charged of causing revenue loss of Rs.44 crore through illegal granite mining in Melur block.
An FIR had been registered against them under various sections of the Mines and Minerals Act, Tamil Nadu Public Property Damage Act among others and special police teams are searching for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow