HC stays non-bailable warrant against Alagiri`s son
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday kept in abeyance till November 2 a non-bailable warrant issued against Union Minister MK Alagiri`s son Durai Dayanidhi in an illegal granite quarrying case.
Passing the order on a petition by Dayanidhi seeking quashing of the NBW issued by the Magistrate Court in Melur in the district, Justice T Mathivanan also directed state Advocate General Navaneetha Krishnan to file the counter to the objections raised by the petitioner`s counsel.
Kumaresan, the counsel for Dayanidhi, contended that the Magistrate had no powers to issue the NBW as the second anticipatory bail application by his client was pending before the high court. "This is transgressing into the powers of the high court."
Countering it, the AG said that case registered against Dayanidhi was of serious nature and he had been absconding. Dayanidhi could appear before the Magistrate court and get bail.
Once the NBW had been issued by the Magistrate, only he can recall it and the high court could not do that, he contended.
He also sought time to file his counter to the petition seeking to quash the October 15 NBW issued by the magistrate.
Dayanidhi and his partner Nagarajan of the Olympus Granites Private Ltd have been charged of causing revenue loss of Rs.44 crore through illegal granite mining in Melur block.
An FIR had been registered against them under various sections of the Mines and Minerals Act, Tamil Nadu Public Property Damage Act among others and special police teams are searching for them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement