HC stays non-bailable warrant against Alagiri`s son
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday kept in abeyance till November 2 a non-bailable warrant issued against Union Minister MK Alagiri`s son Durai Dayanidhi in an illegal granite quarrying case.
Passing the order on a petition by Dayanidhi seeking quashing of the NBW issued by the Magistrate Court in Melur in the district, Justice T Mathivanan also directed state Advocate General Navaneetha Krishnan to file the counter to the objections raised by the petitioner`s counsel.
Kumaresan, the counsel for Dayanidhi, contended that the Magistrate had no powers to issue the NBW as the second anticipatory bail application by his client was pending before the high court. "This is transgressing into the powers of the high court."
Countering it, the AG said that case registered against Dayanidhi was of serious nature and he had been absconding. Dayanidhi could appear before the Magistrate court and get bail.
Once the NBW had been issued by the Magistrate, only he can recall it and the high court could not do that, he contended.
He also sought time to file his counter to the petition seeking to quash the October 15 NBW issued by the magistrate.
Dayanidhi and his partner Nagarajan of the Olympus Granites Private Ltd have been charged of causing revenue loss of Rs.44 crore through illegal granite mining in Melur block.
An FIR had been registered against them under various sections of the Mines and Minerals Act, Tamil Nadu Public Property Damage Act among others and special police teams are searching for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister