HC stays proceedings against TN minister
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High
Court has stayed all further proceedings in a disproportionate
wealth case pending against Finance Minister O Panneerselvam
and six of his family members before a Special Court in
Madurai for trial.
In his direction given yesterday, Justice V Periyakaruppiah
also dispensed with the presence of the Minister and his
family members before the Special Judge after the petitioners
said he had directed them to appear on Nov 28 without issuing
any notice or summons.
As the petitioners had sought to transfer the case,
levelling certain allegations against the Presiding Officer,
the Judge decided to call for remarks from the Special Judge
before taking a decision on the issue.
Observing that "The complaints made against the Special
Court, if true, are serious," the judge directed the High
Court Registry to call for an explanation. The case has been
posted after two weeks or immediately after the receipt of the
Arguing for the petitioners, senior counsel B Kumar said
the corruption case was transferred from the Chief Judicial
Magistrate court in Theni to the Special Court here.
The Theni CJM had ordered the petitioners to appear before
the Special Court only on Jan 24, 2012, he said, but added the
Special Judge insisted on their presence on Nov 28 itself.
The criminal case was registered by the Directorate of
Vigilance and Anti-Corruption in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’