HC: `torture` victim to be treated at pvt hospital
Chennai: Madras High Court has ordered that a crime suspect, alleged to be a victim of police torture, be treated at a private super-speciality hospital.
Justice K Chandru said that the question as to who would bear the cost of the medical treatment would be decided later and made it clear that his direction was an interim order.
C Dhanasekaran, arrested by North Chennai police, was admitted in the Government Royapettah Hospital on March 16. Police, without elaborating, claimed he had fallen from a height of 40 feet and suffered fractures.
The man`s sister Chitra has approached the high court, pleading for better treatment for her brother. She claimed he was a victim of police torture.
Justice Chandru appointed advocate V Lakshmi Narayanan to meet Dhanasekaran in the hospital and get his version. The advocate`s report more or less confirmed Chitra`s submissions.
The judge then referred the man to the private hospital, and posted the matter to April 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!