HC upholds life sentence to man, his mother
Madurai: Madras High Court bench here has upheld the life sentence imposed by a lower court on a man and his mother for allegedly harassing and burning to death his 20-year old wife three years ago, saying the crime is "most atrocious` and `most reprehensible".
Dismissing their appeal, Justices N Paul Vasanthakumar and P Devadass in a recent order said the woman herself had said in her dying declaration that they had doused kerosene and set her ablaze.
"The bride died under tragic circumstances. It is a case of bride-burning. This was not a murder for gain or for any purpose. Bride burning is due to man`s greediness in treating women as chattels (personal property)," the court said adding they did not deserve any mercy.
On Sept 19 2011, a lower court here had sentenced Balamurugan and Maruthayee to life term.
The prosecution case was the couple had married in 2008 and had no issues. The woman wanted her husband to set up a separate home for them. She had also asked her mother to give her utensils and other household articles, which she promised to bring the next day. But the woman was found burnt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family