Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to July 9
Puducherry: Hearing in Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused, was Friday adjourned to July 9 as advocates abstained from the court in support of the lawyers` strike in Tamil Nadu.
Lawyers in Tamil Nadu are on an indefinite strike to press for use of Tamil as the official language in the HC here. Puduchery courts come under the jurisdiction of Madras
Six advocates practising in the Madras High Court commenced an indefinite fast yesterday demanding to introduce Tamil as the official language in the HC.
Six more advocates of the Madurai bench of the Madras High court declared indefinite fast on June 9 while three lawyers in Coimbatore went on an indefinite fast since Wednesday with the same demand.
Advocates in in Sivaganga had yesterday decided to boycott courts till Saturday.
Special public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporter that 15 witnesses were slated to be examined in the Principal District and Sessions court today.
Sankararaman, manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004. The two seers have been charged with criminal conspiracy and murder.
So far 95 witnesses have been examined since the commencement of the trial here after the Supreme Court shifted the case from Chengalpattu district court on a petition filed
by Jayendra Saraswathi in October 2005. Fifty-two witnesses have turned hostile.
The prosecution had yesterday moved a petition before the Judge seeking to declare Ravi Subramanian, an approver and the only witness who was declared hostile, as one of the accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof