High drama preceded TN Minister`s election result declaration
Sivaganga (TN): High drama preceded declaration
of Tamil Nadu Minister K R Periyakaruppan as the winner from
Tirupattur defeating AIADMK`s R S Raja Kannappan today as
counting was halted midway following doubts raised by the
eventual loser over intactness of seals of some EVMs.
Periyakaruppan was declared elected by 1,584 votes this
morning after Kannappan was persuaded to allow resumption of
counting by officials who dispelled his doubts over the EVMs
late last night.
Officials said Kannappan was leading by slender margins
ranging between 400 to 700 till 17th round when it dwindled to
just 46 votes.
Kannappan then objected to counting votes from some EVMs
which he suspected had been tampered with leading to a quarrel
between his agents and that of the rival.
Soon it was a free for all as furniture was hurled around
by both groups and CISF personnel intervened and brought the
situation under control.
In the 18th round, Periyakaruppan shot into a slender lead
when Kannappan again raised some objections about EVMs.
However, he was persuaded by officials to allow resumption
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal