High drama preceded TN Minister`s election result declaration
Sivaganga (TN): High drama preceded declaration
of Tamil Nadu Minister K R Periyakaruppan as the winner from
Tirupattur defeating AIADMK`s R S Raja Kannappan today as
counting was halted midway following doubts raised by the
eventual loser over intactness of seals of some EVMs.
Periyakaruppan was declared elected by 1,584 votes this
morning after Kannappan was persuaded to allow resumption of
counting by officials who dispelled his doubts over the EVMs
late last night.
Officials said Kannappan was leading by slender margins
ranging between 400 to 700 till 17th round when it dwindled to
just 46 votes.
Kannappan then objected to counting votes from some EVMs
which he suspected had been tampered with leading to a quarrel
between his agents and that of the rival.
Soon it was a free for all as furniture was hurled around
by both groups and CISF personnel intervened and brought the
situation under control.
In the 18th round, Periyakaruppan shot into a slender lead
when Kannappan again raised some objections about EVMs.
However, he was persuaded by officials to allow resumption
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information