Hindu Maha Sabha supports Nithyananda
Madurai: All India Hindu Maha Sabha on Monday supported the appointment of controversial godman Nithyananda as the 293rd head of an ancient Saivite mutt here, dismissing charges against him as "concocted".
The Sabha would support all endeavours of Nithyananda, the Sabha president Chakrapani Maharaj told reporters here.
The appointment of Nithyananda as head of the 1,500-year old Madurai Adheenam has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including rape, against him.
Chakrapani claimed some Mutt heads who had opposed Nithyananda would join hands with him tomorrow.
"All the charges against Nithyananda were fake and concocted and he would come out of them," he said.
Meanwhile, Hindu Makkal Katchi in a memorandum to Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment Commissioner demanded action against the present head of Madurai Adheenam for appointing Nithyanandha as his successor.
A meeting of various mutt heads would be held here on May 13 to discuss the issue, HMK state president Solaikannan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur