Hindu Maha Sabha supports Nithyananda
Madurai: All India Hindu Maha Sabha on Monday supported the appointment of controversial godman Nithyananda as the 293rd head of an ancient Saivite mutt here, dismissing charges against him as "concocted".
The Sabha would support all endeavours of Nithyananda, the Sabha president Chakrapani Maharaj told reporters here.
The appointment of Nithyananda as head of the 1,500-year old Madurai Adheenam has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including rape, against him.
Chakrapani claimed some Mutt heads who had opposed Nithyananda would join hands with him tomorrow.
"All the charges against Nithyananda were fake and concocted and he would come out of them," he said.
Meanwhile, Hindu Makkal Katchi in a memorandum to Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment Commissioner demanded action against the present head of Madurai Adheenam for appointing Nithyanandha as his successor.
A meeting of various mutt heads would be held here on May 13 to discuss the issue, HMK state president Solaikannan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon