Hit-and-run case: Shaji Puroshottaman arrested
Kochi: Shaji Purushotaman, businessman and accused in the Chennai hit-and-run case in which a 13-year-old boy was killed, was arrested at Nedumbassery airport here Thursday morning.
Shaji had arrived at the airport by a flight from Colombo, airport sources said.
The Chennai police took him into custody and later handed him over to the airport police.
Justice S S Sateeshchandran of Kerala High Court had yesterday dismissed Shaji`s anticipatory bail application after accepting the state government`s plea that the place of occurrence of the crime was not within the territorial jurisdiction of court.
The Madras High Court had earlier rejected Shaji`s anticipatory bail application.
The case against Shaji is that on May 23 he drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under the influence of liqour and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says