Hold talks with anti-nuke protesters: Karuna tells Jaya
Chennai: Cautioning against use of police force on anti-KNPP activists, DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Friday urged the Jayalalithaa government to hold talks with them to find an amicable solution to the issue.
"At this crucial time, those in power should not think of suppressing the agitators and the public, instead invite their representatives for talks to create a congenial atmosphere," the 89-year old former chief minister said.
In a statement here, he referred to reports that the trial run of the first unit of the Indo-Russian venture was successful and clarifications by the authorities to allay apprehensions of people over the tests.
He also noted that the plant director had stated that no harm would be caused to the environment or public.
However, at the same time, the anti-nuclear activists had laid siege to the KNPP employees township recently protesting against the series of pre-commissioning tests.
Karunanidhi`s remarks come amid the ongoing tests ahead of expected commissioning of the plant this month, which have led to escalated protests.
The DMK patriarch recalled his statement issued in September, 2012 after the police crackdown on the agitators, in which he had suggested that Centre and state should immediately initiate dialogue with the protesters` leaders to find a solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm