I have not politicised Rajiv convicts` release issue: DMK
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi Monday asserted he has not politicised the issue of release of seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case but insisted that his poser to the Chief Justice of India was to indicate that "judges should not politicise" such issues.
"Everyone knows that DMK had made a request for the release of the seven accused. I had asked if it was right on part of Chief Justice P Sathasivam to comment about it since Judges should not politicise such issues. Not for politicising it," he told reporters here.
He was responding to a query on the appeal made by Arputhammal, mother of A G Perarivalan, one of the convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi case, to political leaders not to politicise the issue relating to the verdict on their release.
Karunanidhi on Saturday said Chief Justice Sathasaivam`s indication that the verdict on a petition relating the release of all seven life convicts would be given in a week has led to fears of a "political fallout" in Tamil Nadu ahead of April 24 Lok Sabha poll.
On Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa seeking his response to charges of alleged irregularities made by expelled party leader M K Alagiri against DMK MP T R Baalu in Sethusamudram and the golden quadrilateral projects, Karunanidhi said, "Who accused whom is not important. Let them clearly explain what was the mistake made by Baalu."
Yesterday at an election rally, Jayalalithaa had said, "M K Alagiri has spoken that he was aware of the money siphoned off by Baalu in the golden quadrilateral project besides the wrongs committed in the Sethu project. Karunanidhi should respond to this."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing