I-T deduction: PIL filed in Madras High Court
Chennai: A PIL has been filed before the Madras High Court seeking a direction to the Central and state governments to deduct income tax at source for members of both Houses of Parliament and State Legislative Assemblies.
A division bench comprising Acting Chief Justice RK Agrawal and Justice K Venkataraman directed the petitioner to serve notice on the Central government standing counsel on behalf of the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs and the I-T department and also counsel appearing for the Legislative Assembly Secretariat.
The bench posted the matter for hearing after two weeks.
V Gopalakrishnan in his PIL submitted that a chunk of the citizens` income went as income tax, but it was not so for MLAs and MPs.
There was no tax deduction at source for MPs and MLAs, he said, adding that even after his complaints in August and December 2011, the I-T department did not take any action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere