I-T official held for accepting Rs 50 lakh bribe
New Delhi: The CBI has arrested a senior
Income Tax department official from Chennai and two others,
including the Managing Director of a private educational firm,
on charges of accepting a bribe of Rs 50 lakh from the latter
in a tax evasion case.
The sleuths nabbed Additional Income Tax Commissioner
Andasu Ravindar, an IRS of 1991 batch, along with Kishore,
Managing Director of Everonn Educational Ltd, Perungudi, and
one Uttam Chand Bohra while Ravindar was allegedly trying to
transport the bribe money to a safe location from his
residence, CBI officials said.
"The agency also carried out search operations at
Mumbai, Hyderabad, Vizag, Bangalore and Chennai resulting in
seizure of Rs 48 lakh from the private person`s residence and
Rs.10 lakh from other places. The bribe amount of Rs 50 lakh
and the gold jewellery weighing 1.8 kgs were seized from the
residence of Additional Commissioner," CBI spokesperson
Dharini Mishra said.
During a search operation on August four at the premises
of Everonn Educational Ltd, which provided in-school education
through internet, Ravindar found that the firm had allegedly
concealed taxable income of Rs 116 crore.
After the search operation, Managing Director of the firm
Kishore allegedly contacted Ravindar through a chartered
account T Bhanu Sekar to conceal Rs 60 crore of taxable
income out of Rs 116 crore detected by the search and survey
department, the officials said.
Sekar who was well known to Income Tax officials arranged
a meeting between Ravindar and Kishore in Mumbai on August 10
to negotiate and reduce the Income Tax liability, the agency
After negotiations Ravindar allegedly demanded Rs 50 lakh
as bribe for concealing the taxable income and reducing tax
liability of the firm which was to be handed over to him at
his residence, they said.
As planned, the Managing Director allegedly brought the
money packed in a cardboard box used for packing fans at the
While Ravindar was allegedly trying to smuggle this amount
to some unknown place through Bohra, CBI sleuths nabbed three
of them and seized the bribe money, the officials said.
The agency has registered a case of criminal conspiracy
and slapped relevant provisions of the Prevention of
Corruption Act against the trio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India