IAF fast expanding and procuring latest machines
Coimbatore: Indian Air Force is fast expanding and procuring the latest machines as India is playing an important role in the Geo-politics of the World, a top IAF official said on Tuesday.
Making a reference to the rapidly changing threat scenario with the emergence of increased military ambitions of "one of our neighbours" in the Indian Oceanic region, Air Marshal, R K Jolly, Air Oficer, Commanding-in Chief, Southern Air Command told reporters at Sulur, 20 km from here, that the SAC played an important role in protecting the Southern Seas and Island territories of Andaman and Nicobar.
When asked to elaborate, Jolly said with strategic installations like Aeronautical, Space and Nuclear plants, SAC has important role to protect and defend the systems.
Jolly, who briefed about the December 18 visit of President, Pranab Mukherjee to grant "Standards" to two IAF squadrons, said in this connection the Air Force base in Sulur would be expanded soon.
For the first time, a Light Air Combat Squadron would be installed at Sulur, maybe by 2016, he said.
Similarly, IAF would seek approval from the ministry to establish a squadron in Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu and develop infrastructure, Jolly said.
SAC, he said, was entrusted with the defence of air space of the Southern Peninsula and was being steadily upgraded with newer system and aircraft.
In short, the Country`s armed forces were always prepared as a deterrent to prevent war and protect the interests of the nation, Jolly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video