IGP case: HC directs CBI to file counter affidavit
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed the CBI to file by May 30 its counter affidavit to a bail petition by IGP (Armed Police) Pramod Kumar, arrested for allegedly receiving money from an investment firm.
Vacation Judge Justice T Mathivanan adjourned the petition to May 30.
Kumar has been charged, along with others, with making some subordinates receive about Rs 2.85 crore on his behalf from Paazee Forex Pvt Ltd, which had defaulted in repayments to depositors, to allegedly protect three directors of the firm.
A woman had also alleged that she was kidnapped and sexually abused by some policemen involved in the case.
The CBI had registered a case against Kumar and charged him and other policemen with extortion and criminal intimidation under Sections 4 of the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Harassment of Women (Amendment) Act.
Kumar has also been booked under sections 7 and 13 (2) read with 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
In his bail application, Pramod Kumar submitted that he has been in jail for about a fortnight. CBI had questioned him for five days and police custody was over.
The IPS officer said he would abide by any condition that the court may impose on him if released on bail.
Kumar, then IGP (West Zone) Coimbatore when the case was registered, was arrested in New Delhi on May 2 on the charge of entering into a conspiracy to get a bribe of Rs 10 crore from Paazee Forex Trading company to protect its directors facing charges of duping depositors of Rs 826 crore in 2009.
CBI has charged Kumar with abusing his official position and making his subordinates and accomplices extort money from Paazee Group of companies to safeguard its directors. He was on the run for a long time and the Madras High Court had turned down his anticipatory bail plea last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note