Illegal quarrying by PRP Granites caused Rs 620 cr loss: Govt
Madurai: Tamil Nadu government Wednesday told the Madras High court that as per a first evaluation report on PRP Granites, facing criminal proceedings in a multi-crore granite quarry scam, it was found that the company had caused loss to the tune of Rs 620 crore to exchequer by illegal mining in one of the quarries.
In an appeal challenging a single Judge`s order directing the government to permit the company to do mining and allow the offices to function, after seizing required documents concerning the illegal mining, Advocate General Navaneethakrishnan said the evaluation was in a detailed manner, adding, the court had been given the "model of evaluation".
Counsel for PRP granites contended that none of the cases filed against it regarding illegal mining attracted IPCprovisions.
Navaneethakrishnan said 28 quarries had been inspected so far and it had been found that illegal quarrying had been done in the government land beyond permitted area.
Justice K N Basha and Justice Devadoss said "on the one had the government had stated that they had no objection to mining granite while the company was not doing mining operation. It was a peculiar case in which both civil and criminal code provisions had been extensively quoted".
The allegations against PRP Granits were of serious nature, though it had not yet been proved, Justice Basha said and pointed out that the "government gad allowed mining. But for some reasons the PRP officials did not have the guts to operate the mines. If they were absconding....Who should be blamed?"
He said police had seized documents in the presence of the company officials and now evaluation was going on. After the Police filed the FIR, all the partners and officials of the company absconded. The Problem had been invited by the company officials, the judge said.
Navaneethakrishnan said they needed two weeks time to complete the evaluation and sought to post the case for further hearing after two weeks.
The bench posted the case for final hearing On December 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly