Illegal sand quarrying on the increase: Jaya
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa on Sunday alleged that illegal sand quarrying activity in the
state was still on the increase depleting ground water and in
turn affecting farmers.
In a statement here, she said due to illegal sand
quarrying the government was losing huge revenue.
She also demanded that the State Government provide
adequate compensation to the family members of a woman, who
died after she was hit by a lorry involved in sand quarrying
in Karur district.
Lashing out at Chief Minister Karunanidhi, she alleged he
had been encouraging such illegal sand quarrying.
Ground water level had drastically reduced due to such
activity, which also led to shortage of water for irrigation
purposes, severely affecting the farmers,she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United
- Zika not a reason to cancel Rio Olympics, says US health official
- Mamata Banerjee sworn-in as West Bengal CM: As it happened