Illegal sand quarrying on the increase: Jaya
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa on Sunday alleged that illegal sand quarrying activity in the
state was still on the increase depleting ground water and in
turn affecting farmers.
In a statement here, she said due to illegal sand
quarrying the government was losing huge revenue.
She also demanded that the State Government provide
adequate compensation to the family members of a woman, who
died after she was hit by a lorry involved in sand quarrying
in Karur district.
Lashing out at Chief Minister Karunanidhi, she alleged he
had been encouraging such illegal sand quarrying.
Ground water level had drastically reduced due to such
activity, which also led to shortage of water for irrigation
purposes, severely affecting the farmers,she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter