Illegal sand quarrying on the increase: Jaya
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa on Sunday alleged that illegal sand quarrying activity in the
state was still on the increase depleting ground water and in
turn affecting farmers.
In a statement here, she said due to illegal sand
quarrying the government was losing huge revenue.
She also demanded that the State Government provide
adequate compensation to the family members of a woman, who
died after she was hit by a lorry involved in sand quarrying
in Karur district.
Lashing out at Chief Minister Karunanidhi, she alleged he
had been encouraging such illegal sand quarrying.
Ground water level had drastically reduced due to such
activity, which also led to shortage of water for irrigation
purposes, severely affecting the farmers,she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know