Impossible to release 134 tmc during June-Sept to TN: Karnataka
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Thursday made it clear that it would be impossible to release 134 tmc of water to Tamil Nadu between June and September as stipulated in the Cauvery tribunal`s award and decided to request the Cauvery supervisory committee to scale it down to 97.82 tmc.
The decision was taken at an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah to discuss the state`s response, where leaders debated at length on how to manage the "distress" during June-September.
"It`s not possible to release Tamil Nadu`s share as per the award as our (Karnataka`s) farmers very much need water during this four-month period," Siddaramaiah said in the assembly, briefing the members on the deliberations.
"It`s impossible to release Tamil Nadu`s share as there is no storage to the extent marked by the award," he said.
"In this background, we have been asking for the review of quantum of water to be released during the period and will reiterate it at the meeting of the Cauvery Supervisory committee (on June 12).
He said it had been stated in the 2007 award of the inter-state Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal that after five years, required amendment can be made by reviewing the quantum of water to be released every month. "Since five years have elapsed, it`s good time to request a review."
"In this background, it was decided (at the all party meeting) to make a request to scale down the quantum of water to be released to Tamil Nadu during June-to-September from 134 tmc to 97.82 tmc," the chief minister said.
He said as 134 tmc storage could not be achieved during 2008-09 to 2012-2013 (during June-September periods of those five years) keeping in view the rainfall as per official records, it was decided to seek such a review.
As regards seven main points of the agenda, it was decided to consult irrigation and legal experts to finalise a suitable response.
Besides Siddaramaiah, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra, Leader of Opposition H D Kumaraswamy (JDS), BJP floor leader and former Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and B S Yeddyurappa (KJP) were among those who took part in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India