Impossible to release 134 tmc during June-Sept to TN: Karnataka
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Thursday made it clear that it would be impossible to release 134 tmc of water to Tamil Nadu between June and September as stipulated in the Cauvery tribunal`s award and decided to request the Cauvery supervisory committee to scale it down to 97.82 tmc.
The decision was taken at an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah to discuss the state`s response, where leaders debated at length on how to manage the "distress" during June-September.
"It`s not possible to release Tamil Nadu`s share as per the award as our (Karnataka`s) farmers very much need water during this four-month period," Siddaramaiah said in the assembly, briefing the members on the deliberations.
"It`s impossible to release Tamil Nadu`s share as there is no storage to the extent marked by the award," he said.
"In this background, we have been asking for the review of quantum of water to be released during the period and will reiterate it at the meeting of the Cauvery Supervisory committee (on June 12).
He said it had been stated in the 2007 award of the inter-state Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal that after five years, required amendment can be made by reviewing the quantum of water to be released every month. "Since five years have elapsed, it`s good time to request a review."
"In this background, it was decided (at the all party meeting) to make a request to scale down the quantum of water to be released to Tamil Nadu during June-to-September from 134 tmc to 97.82 tmc," the chief minister said.
He said as 134 tmc storage could not be achieved during 2008-09 to 2012-2013 (during June-September periods of those five years) keeping in view the rainfall as per official records, it was decided to seek such a review.
As regards seven main points of the agenda, it was decided to consult irrigation and legal experts to finalise a suitable response.
Besides Siddaramaiah, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra, Leader of Opposition H D Kumaraswamy (JDS), BJP floor leader and former Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and B S Yeddyurappa (KJP) were among those who took part in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly