In Theni district, relatives beat each other with broom to end differences
Theni: Relatives follow an unusual ritual of beating each other with broom at a century-old temple in this district during festivals to sweep away differences and unite the family.
Cousins or in-laws thrashed each other in a friendly manner with brooms at a festival recently at the Sri Muthalamman temple near Andipatti in Theni district, temple sources said.
"Such an act help resolve differences and unite them," they said.
Gopal Krishna, a devotee, said the custom could have started with someone taking a vow that he would beat himself with a broomstick if he was relieved of some problem with his relative.
He would have spread the message that his problem got solved, sparking such a belief among other devotees.
As per custom and traditions, married men in the family and their brothers participate in the ritual.
Another devotee Kanaka said the century-old custom did solve disputes. "That is our experience," she said.
Relatives might not be on speaking terms due to some misunderstanding. The "broom beating ceremony" helps them resolve the issues. After beating each other with brooms, they hug each other and thus the festival ends, sources said.
Even if the bridegrooms are from other villages they are asked to follow the ritual, they added.
The custom made devotees feel like children and forget animosity, said another devotee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened