Inaction in release of convicts will be treated as Contempt: HC
Chennai: The Madras High Court today warned the Tamil Nadu government that its failure to release the life convicts, as per its order, would be treated as "contempt of court".
"Despite an order passed by this Court on January 22 this year, granting relief of premature release to the detenus, they have not been released till date and more than a month has passed. But the authorities have slept over the matter. The learned Additional Public Prosecutor still submits that the orders will be passed by government soon," the division bench said.
The Bench, comprising Justice S Rajeswaran and Justice P N Prakash said this while passing interim orders on two different Haebeas Corpus petitions. It then adjourned the matter for final disposal to March 7.
It is made clear that if no orders are passed on or before the above mentioned date by the government releasing the detenus`, appropriate orders will be passed by this court considering the inaction on the part of the Authorities as `Contempt of Court", the Bench said.
It also directed the registry to post the matter before it as Specially Ordered Case on March 7.
The matter pertains to one Deva, undergoing life imprisonment in Puzhal jail and one Rajendran in Coimbatore Central Jail, who were ordered to be prematurely released by the High Court.
But the order was not implemented by the government till date.
Hence relatives of the prisoners again filed Haebeas Corpus petitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly