Income ceiling limit for education assistance increased
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Friday announced an increase in the ceiling limit of certain communities, including Scheduled Tribes (ST), to avail education assistance.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa directed to increase the annual income ceiling limit of parents and guardians of students of Adi Dravida and Adi Dravida converted Christians and ST students from Rs one lakh to Rs two lakh.
This move would benefit those seeking education assistance after Class X and would be implemented in the current academic year itself, a state government release here said.
The government would incur an additional expense of Rs 34.83 lakh annually for this, it said.
Further, Jayalalithaa also recommended to the Centre to shift the `Nari Kurava`(Gypsies) to ST from Most Backward Class (MBC) since they share similarities to the community in terms of education, economic and other characteristics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa