Income ceiling limit for education assistance increased
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Friday announced an increase in the ceiling limit of certain communities, including Scheduled Tribes (ST), to avail education assistance.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa directed to increase the annual income ceiling limit of parents and guardians of students of Adi Dravida and Adi Dravida converted Christians and ST students from Rs one lakh to Rs two lakh.
This move would benefit those seeking education assistance after Class X and would be implemented in the current academic year itself, a state government release here said.
The government would incur an additional expense of Rs 34.83 lakh annually for this, it said.
Further, Jayalalithaa also recommended to the Centre to shift the `Nari Kurava`(Gypsies) to ST from Most Backward Class (MBC) since they share similarities to the community in terms of education, economic and other characteristics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi