Income ceiling limit for education assistance increased
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Friday announced an increase in the ceiling limit of certain communities, including Scheduled Tribes (ST), to avail education assistance.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa directed to increase the annual income ceiling limit of parents and guardians of students of Adi Dravida and Adi Dravida converted Christians and ST students from Rs one lakh to Rs two lakh.
This move would benefit those seeking education assistance after Class X and would be implemented in the current academic year itself, a state government release here said.
The government would incur an additional expense of Rs 34.83 lakh annually for this, it said.
Further, Jayalalithaa also recommended to the Centre to shift the `Nari Kurava`(Gypsies) to ST from Most Backward Class (MBC) since they share similarities to the community in terms of education, economic and other characteristics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!