Income Tax case against Jayalalithaa adjourned
Chennai: A local court here on Thursday adjourned to August 21 the hearing in an income tax case against Tamil Nadu chief Minister Jayalalithaa and her aide Sasikala.
When the case came up before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM), R Dakshinamurthy, counsel for Jayalalithaa and Saskikala told the court that the application for compounding the alleged offences on Income tax returns case was pending and reserved for orders before the tax authorities.
Hence, he prayed that the case be adjourned and allowing the plea, the court posted the matter to August 21.
During the previous hearing on July 24, the defence counsel apprised the court that the compounding petition was posted for hearing on July 28 by the tax authorities.
The I-T department had launched criminal proceedings against Jayalalithaa and Sasikala for allegedly not filing returns in their individual capacity for the assessment year 1993-94.
Complaints were also filed by the IT department against Sasi Enterprises represented by its partners, Jayalalithaa and Sasikala for allegedly failing to file returns for the assessment years 1991-92 and 1992-93.
Discharge petitions filed by the accused were later dismissed by the Madras High Court.
Jayalalithaa and Sasikala preferred appeals before the Supreme Court. Dismissing their appeals on January 30, the apex court had directed the lower court to complete the trial in four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani