India should boycott CHOGM: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Friday said India should not only boycott the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) slated to be held in Sri Lanka later this year but also gather the support of other countries to prevent the summit from being held in the island nation.
"India should understand the feelings of all the Tamils and chart out its strategy accordingly," Karunanidhi said in a statement issued here.
He said India should accept the requests of Tamils living the world over and announce that it would boycott the CHOGM conference to be held in Sri Lanka and also gather the support of other nations so that the conference is not held in the island nation.
He said the DMK, the Tamil Eelam Supporter`s Organisation (TESO) and leaders of other political parties, including the Congress, had been demanding that CHOGM should not be held in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka has been accused of committing human rights abuses during the final stages of the war against the Tamil Tiger rebels before the rebels were defeated in May 2009.
Karunanidhi said Canada has already announced it decision to boycott CHOGM this year.
He said it was important to note that British queen would not be participating at the CHOGM summit this year and had instead deputed her son, Prince Charles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16