India should boycott CHOGM: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Friday said India should not only boycott the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) slated to be held in Sri Lanka later this year but also gather the support of other countries to prevent the summit from being held in the island nation.
"India should understand the feelings of all the Tamils and chart out its strategy accordingly," Karunanidhi said in a statement issued here.
He said India should accept the requests of Tamils living the world over and announce that it would boycott the CHOGM conference to be held in Sri Lanka and also gather the support of other nations so that the conference is not held in the island nation.
He said the DMK, the Tamil Eelam Supporter`s Organisation (TESO) and leaders of other political parties, including the Congress, had been demanding that CHOGM should not be held in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka has been accused of committing human rights abuses during the final stages of the war against the Tamil Tiger rebels before the rebels were defeated in May 2009.
Karunanidhi said Canada has already announced it decision to boycott CHOGM this year.
He said it was important to note that British queen would not be participating at the CHOGM summit this year and had instead deputed her son, Prince Charles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened