`India taking steps to secure release of 5 fishermen`
Ramanathapuram: India is taking steps to secure the release of five fishermen taken into custody by the Sri Lankan Navy in 2011 on the charge of smuggling narcotics, a top official said here on Sunday.
"Efforts are on to get the release of five fishermen who were taken into custody by Sri Lankan navalmen on charges of smuggling narcotics in 2011," Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Ashok K Kantha said.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of St Anthony`s church festival at Katchatheevu islet, he said, it was held peacefully this year due to cooperation between the two countries.
He also expressed happiness over increase in the number of devotees attending the festival over the years and assured that more basic amenities would be made available for pilgrims in future with the help of Lankan Government.
Katchatheevu is an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka in the 1970s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!