Indian tricolour hoisted at Chennai in 1947 to be on display
Tiruchirappalli: The Indian tricolour, which was hoisted in 1947 at the 17th century British centre of power, Fort St George, in Chennai on the declaration of India`s Independence, will be on display at the special gallery in the Fort Museum.
The special gallery will be inaugurated on January 26.
"Our records confirm that it was this flag that was hoisted on the historic day in Chennai. It should be a unique one as it is doubtful that any other centre has preserved or traced their respective first flags," G Maheshwari, Superintending Archaeologist, Archaeological Society of India, Chennai, said.
The flag made of pure silk and measuring twelve feet by eight feet is a pride of this museum, Maheshwari said.
In addition to the flag, special postage stamps of Indian Independence, medals and other artefacts will be showcased with appropriate information. The gallery will also display the concept and evolution of the Indian National flag, Flag code and some interesting anecdotes related to the flag.
K. Moortheswari, Dy. Superintending archaeologist, said Fort St. George Museum is a colonial period museum. With this new gallery, an attempt is being made to create persisting awareness among the public about the freedom movement.
Many families of freedom fighters in the state are voluntarily coming forward to present available records and souvenirs which will also be added in the gallery in the future, she said.
Neeti Anil Kumar, Asst. Archaeologist-cum-curator, said the spacious museum was already hosting galleries under various topics like arms and armour, medals and uniforms, porcelains, numismatics, among others.
Maheshwari said an exclusive philatelic gallery is on the cards. The freedom fighters gallery will be unveiled on the Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH