Indian tricolour hoisted at Chennai in 1947 to be on display
Tiruchirappalli: The Indian tricolour, which was hoisted in 1947 at the 17th century British centre of power, Fort St George, in Chennai on the declaration of India`s Independence, will be on display at the special gallery in the Fort Museum.
The special gallery will be inaugurated on January 26.
"Our records confirm that it was this flag that was hoisted on the historic day in Chennai. It should be a unique one as it is doubtful that any other centre has preserved or traced their respective first flags," G Maheshwari, Superintending Archaeologist, Archaeological Society of India, Chennai, said.
The flag made of pure silk and measuring twelve feet by eight feet is a pride of this museum, Maheshwari said.
In addition to the flag, special postage stamps of Indian Independence, medals and other artefacts will be showcased with appropriate information. The gallery will also display the concept and evolution of the Indian National flag, Flag code and some interesting anecdotes related to the flag.
K. Moortheswari, Dy. Superintending archaeologist, said Fort St. George Museum is a colonial period museum. With this new gallery, an attempt is being made to create persisting awareness among the public about the freedom movement.
Many families of freedom fighters in the state are voluntarily coming forward to present available records and souvenirs which will also be added in the gallery in the future, she said.
Neeti Anil Kumar, Asst. Archaeologist-cum-curator, said the spacious museum was already hosting galleries under various topics like arms and armour, medals and uniforms, porcelains, numismatics, among others.
Maheshwari said an exclusive philatelic gallery is on the cards. The freedom fighters gallery will be unveiled on the Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown